Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Very Busy Second Day- 7-16


It started with last night.

My Dream:
I was woken up by my father and told to follow him out of the room. I was told that we would get our belongings tomorrow morning. I put on my slippers and very tiredly was urged out. My first thought once I was outside was embarrassment, if someone was to see me in my pajamas, but of course, I followed anyway. We went on the elevator to a different floor and entered a different hotel room. From there I went back to sleep.

When I woke up, I figured ou that my bed was facing a different direction then the night before. I remembered my dream, but then realized that it wasn’t a dream. It was true. Long story short, we changed rooms because of construction workers working and hammering one floor away from us at 10:30 at night!

That morning we had t o take many trips back and forth between rooms, getting our stuff, and during that process had many de-activated room keys, and more than one trip down to the front desk.

After that event was over, we got ready as usual and got on the bus at 8:30. Obviously, my dad was the last person downstairs. Our first stop was the Hutong area, a preserved area, where we went into an old-fashioned house, with a person who lived there explaining things to us. Next, we went on a short rickshaw tour. The seat was very uneven with me on one side and my dad on the other. We were told by our tour guide to close our eyes if things looked bad on the road because the drivers can handle it, it just looks scary.

Our next event was just for a few minutes and unplanned, going to a small pottery museum where they showed us people doing ceramics, which was really cool. Then, we headed to lunch.

There were two stories in the building we went to lunch in. Before lunch on the bottom floor, we got a demonstration on how to get the pearls out of oysters. Go figure, the bottom story was a fancy pearl shop. After looking around, we had a family-style lunch.

Going to the Summer Palace was next. And=2 0it was very scenic, but very crowded. Our group walked about a mile and a half, and one of the elderly gentleman in our group actually couldn’t walk that far and had to go back to the hotel. We went directly to the Olympic Park for a few minutes and took some pictures, then rushed to meet the Festers, our friends from Palos Verdes for a cooking class/dinner.

We were cooking in a small courtyard-ish area, which was very peaceful. Our instructor had a dog, Dodo, which was amazingly cute, and very feisty and kind. But because Dodo is a puppy, I now have many teeth marks on me. Anyways, we made dumplings for dinner. (Which are much harder to make than you would think.) And then we ate them while we watched the teacher make noodles and cucumber salad for us. It was all very good.

Now I am back at the hotel about to go to bed.

-Margot


Liza's note: I am uploading Margot's text from email. She still cannot access blogger.com because of Chinese censorship, and therefore cannot see comments. But I know she would enjoy reading them when they get back...

No comments:

Post a Comment